Friday, July 02, 2010

Hou Yeh Pinoy! Great! Filipinos! 好嘢!菲律賓人!

Traditionally, people don't talk much about the Philippines except the beaches in Cebu, Imelda Marco's shoes, Freddie Aguilar's Anak and, of course, export of domestic helpers. But, it seems that things are starting to change. These days, local newspapers carry stories of Walden Bello, and the Hong Kong Arts Centre is hosting the first Philippine Film Festival.  (I really want to watch Voices/Boses but my work schedule for the coming week sucks.)  A welcome change.

6 comments:

Gweipo said...

and of course the man literature prize winner Miguel Syjuco whose book Illustrado is still lying next to my bed waiting for my darn exams to be finished.

W said...

You are ahead of me. In fact, I haven't heard of Miguel Syjuco until very recently.

Gweipo said...

you can borrow the book if you like, it's not going to see light of day for another week or so

W said...

Thanks for the offer. I'm afraid if I borrow it, it won't see light for a longer time (will have to turn into high tension mode from now to end of the month). Tell me how do you like it when you are done with it.

YTSL said...

Caught Concerto (aka Concert) on Tuesday at the Hong Kong Arts Centre. Really liked it -- a movie that (emotionally) moved. :)

W said...

Hi,

If you say it's good, it must be good. Let's see if I can get hold of a DVD after this crazy July. Are you also going to watch Boses/Voices?

free counters